annies blogs

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Ann's Blog On Video Games:

Ann's second quarter blog #7:

"Slamdance festival pulls Columbine video game" (cnn.com, January 16, 2007)

At the Slamdance Festival in Salt Lake City, Utah, a video game portraying the events of the Columbine massacre has been pulled out of the competition. The co-founder and president of the Slamdance Film Festival stated the justification for this being that there are still many people who are suffering from the Columbine incident. He is quoted saying, "some things are more important than one game or a festival." This video game can be downloaded off the internet and contains cartoon versions of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, the shooters who killed thirteen people and then themselves in April of 1999 in a school in Colorado. While playing the game, the player takes on the role of Harris and Klebold. The creator of the game, Danny Ledonne, is from southern Colorado and was a sophomore in high school when the actual Columbine took place. The actual shootings by Harris and Klebold were partially blamed on violent video games and Ledonne wanted to create discussion about the shootings. Ledonne said that Slamdance contacted him wanting him to enter his game into the competition and then he said "They picked up something that they, in the end, didn't have the courage of their convictions to stand behind."

HOLY SMOKES!!!! This is so ridiculous. I can't believe that anyone would be so insensitive that they could create a game that idolized real-life murderers. Thirteen real people were killed by Harris and Klebold and their families and friends still have to deal with the grief of their losses. I don't understand how anyone could feel it appropriate to create a game that lets the player into the shoes of the killers. This Ledonne guy is psychotic. Honestly, I am pretty sure that he has issues. Normally when I read current events they don't really move me one way or the other too much, but this one got me really worked up and upset. If I had the money and the time and if I knew how, I would definitely sue this guy. I wasn't even personally connected to the Columbine and it irritates me that much. The thing is, I have lost a loved one to a more natural cause, and I know the grief that goes along with it. If my beloved had been murdered I would hate, with all my heart, the person responsible. Then to see the person responsible for their death idolized would make me go insane with anger. I know that this is really judgmental, but if I were to have to choose the person that I had the least respect for and disliked the most, Ledonne would be the winner. What an insensitive person. I have absolutely no respect. Reading this article reminded me of a song that I know that is about the Columbine that is really good I put the lyrics below:

It was a test we could all hope to passBut none of us would want to take.Faced with the choice to deny God to live,For her, there was one choice to make.This was her time. this was her dance.She lived every moment; left nothing to chance.She swam in the sea; drank of the deep;Embraced the mystery of all she could be.This was her time...Though you are mourning and grieving with us,Death died a long time ago;Swallowed in life so that life carries on.Still its so hard to let go.This was her time. this was her dance.She lived every moment; left nothing to chance.She swam in the sea; drank of the deep;Embraced the mystery of all she could be.What if tomorrow, and what if today,Faced with the question,Oh what would you say? This is your time. this is your dance.Live every moment. leave nothing to chance.Swim in the sea. drink of the deep.Follow the mercy and hear yourself praying.Wont you save me? Wont you save me? This is your time. this is your dance.Live every moment. leave nothing to chance.Swim in the sea. drink of the deep.Embrace the mystery of all you can be.This is your time. this is your dance.Live every moment. leave nothing to chance.Swim in the sea. drink of the deep.Embrace the mystery of all you can be.This is your time...(wont you save me? )(this is your time)(wont you save me? )

Apparently, the murders attempted to get a young girl to deny her faith in order to save her life and she wouldn't. That is when they killed her. That is what this song is about. Now that i think about it Lebonne would take number 3 on that list behind Harris and Klebold. What kind of a person would put a gun to someones head and say "deny God or I will pull this trigger." I can think of a couple of nasty words I could name them but I won't. This is such a frusterating piece of current events. I'm done.

Article from:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/01/16/columbine.videogame.ap/index.html
Lyrics from:
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/m/michael+w.+smith/this+is+your+time_20093181.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home