annies blogs

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Ann's Blog On Math and Science Funding:


Blog #1:

“Senate passes bill to keep U.S. competitive in math, science” (cnn.com, April 26, 2007)

In Washington on Wednesday, the senate decided to pass a bill that will add $16 billion to the wallet of the math and science departments in the next four years. Legislators are concerned about staying in the lead of technology. The bill is called America Competes Act and it passed with 88 votes in favor and 8 against it. The bill will now be sent to the House. With the extra $16 billion the total amount that will be spent over the next four years is $60 billion. Some of this money will go to funding for the training of math and science teachers and to promote advanced placement education and international baccalaureate programs.

I am really glad that all of this development is happening in the education department. I am a firm believer that not enough attention or money is given to the schools across America. I have met people from other countries and it seems like we, as Americans, are falling short in pretty much every sector. Even the foreign exchange students that come to Alexandria seem to be one step ahead of us here. Especially with language, which I think is also very important. People my age from other countries know up to five different languages and are fairly fluent in them too. I guess I think its terrible and very narrow minded that I can’t say I am fluent in anything but English. It seems really self-centered to me, like all we are concerned about is ourselves and we don’t need to be able to communicate with other people across the world. I understand that we should have kind of a chip on our shoulder about being Americans, that kind of patriotism, but I can see how if I were from a different country I would judge us on that little fact alone. I think that it is phenomenal that we are putting more money into the science and math departments. I can see the opposing view that would say that our national debt is already way too high and the last thing that we need is more reckless spending. My defense to that is that, in the long run it will only help boost our economy. If we put the money into the technology and scientific programs now, then we can develop new things fast and before other countries so that we will prosper in the end.

Article from:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/04/25/america.competes.ap/index.html
Picture from:
http://laurelwoodbooks.com/images/science%20&%20math.jpg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home