annies blogs

Friday, May 18, 2007

Ann's Blog on Seperation of church and state X2:

Ann’s Blog #4:

Louisiana school district sued over Bibles in school (cnn.com, May 18, 2007)

Here comes lawsuit numero cinco for a school district in New Orleans. In the last thirteen years, a certain school district has been sued five times about something religion-related. This time, the lawsuit is about the principle improperly giving Bibles to the students. The parents of a fifth grader filed this lawsuit when the found out that their fifth-grader had been given a Gideon Bible on school property during school hours. The name of the school is Loranger Middle School in Tangipohoa Parish. The upset parents are Catholic. Apparently, the little fifth grade girl was around some of her peers when they were all given these Bibles in front of the office. The people giving the Bibles to the students also said, “God bless you.” The little girl was afraid of getting laughed at or criticized so he accepted one. When her parents found out, they immediately phoned the principal and superintendent. There calls weren’t returned. This school was sued once before for allowing a ‘pizza preacher’ to come and give students pizza and teach Christianity over lunch period.

I think that I’ve kind of touched on this before in some of my blogs, but I don’t an any way, shape, or form, see this as a bad thing. Religion is the most fulfilling thing in my life. I don’t think that it is bad to expose people to other religions. I see it like this; there is no reason for these parents to be upset, because if they are Catholic then that means that they believe that Catholicism is the best religion so they shouldn’t feel threatened by other religions if ‘Catholicism is the best.’ Furthermore, how will they ever know that ‘Catholicism is the best’ if they aren’t exposed to other religions? It puzzles me that someone would make such a fuss over something like this. These parents are obviously religious, so shouldn’t they be happy that God is being allowed to be a part of their daughter’s school day? That can bring me to my STRONG opinion that separation of church and state isn’t quite the best thing. Religion is the best thing in my life…by far. It has filled a void in my life and given me so much joy. And the only reason that I am religious is because I was brought into it through my parents. I feel so sorry for those kids who have parents who haven’t taught them about God and his WONDERFUL LOVE. So this is where I think to myself…every kid has to go to school…what a great way to let kids dip their toes in religion. That doesn’t mean that they have to become as religious as other people, but I think that it is a good idea for them to be able to have a chance to be exposed to it. Wouldn’t you think? If I heard someone tell me about something that is the BEST THING IN THEIR LIFE, I would be curious to know at least a little about it. Why wouldn’t an atheist want to pick up the Bible that I try to live by and see why I get so much happiness and joy from it? And why shouldn’t they have the opportunity? School is the best place for that exposure. Everybody is there. It is only logical to me. There is an all girls Bible study twice a month at Jefferson that I go to and once me and my friends invited someone who had atheist parents and wasn’t religious. She came the first time and liked it, and then she came the next time, and the time after that, and she became a regular to CCLJ (cool chicks love Jesus). I am so happy that she was able to be exposed to my Lord. Anywho, I’m sure that many people would disagree with my standpoint, which they are entitled to do, but I just feel as though I am so lucky to have God in my life and I think that everyone deserves a chance to know Him the way that I do. The end.

Article From:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/05/18/aclu.school.bibles.ap/index.html
Picture From:
http://images.google.com/images?um=1&tab=wi&hl=en&q=bibles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home